Workshops “Active EU”
During the duration of the project “Counter Euroscepticism with you Vote” project partners organized workshop events “Active EU” in all project countries Slovenia, Croatia, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary and Czech Republic.
Workshop events “Active EU” where based around public presentations, open forum discussions, workshops or debates. The main idea of the events was to promote active citizenship so that the participants can contribute and be engaged through debating (how to increase active citizenship; what are the obstacles; best practices from your community and the EU; how can people improve in active citizenship; presenting some of the key characteristics of active citizenship).
The events presented a platform where participants where educated about EU values (Human dignity; Freedom; Democracy; Equality; Rule of law; Human rights), important historical events in the EU (Europe Day; the day when your country joined the EU; The EU motto: “United in diversity”; EU treaties; historic steps of the EU) and achievements of the member states. Participants head the opportunity to debate, where citizens actively state their doubts and hopes on the EU and its future. An active involvement of the young (optional) was present in the project, as youngsters (optional) presented examples of good practice and outline the benefits of EU policies and main achievements. Awareness was raised in the local community about the importance of EU values and active citizenship was fostered.
Debates offered participants the opportunity to tell their opinion on how policy agendas are and should be implemented within the EU political framework. Open discussion about the problem of implementing EU policies and benefits of EU policies (Peace & Security; Single Market; High food & environmental standards; Consumer benefits; Human Rights; Global Power; …).
Main topics of the Workshop Events:
- Active citizenship (how to increase active citizenship in your community and country; what are the obstacles; best practices from your community and the EU; how can adults improve in active citizenship; presenting some of the key characteristics of active citizenship)
- EU values, history and achievements (Europe Day; joining of your country the EU; The EU motto: “United in diversity”; EU treaties; historic steps of the EU)
- EU future and challenges (Brexit; Budget without United Kingdom; Europe’s Green Deal; Migration; economic challenge)
- Benefits and also shortcomings of EU policies (Peace & Security; Single Market; High food & environmental standards; Consumer benefits; Human Rights; Global Power; …)
- Importance of voting and the participation in the next EU elections
- State of democracy in your country
- Rise of Euroscepticism